Friday, December 4, 2020

The Usurper of the Jewel Throne


Robert E. Howard was almost an obsession for the band in the early days. His whole 'Conan the Barbarian' saga was a source of endless inspiration to Tom who based some of his own lyrics on the various stories of Conan which occur in the pseudo-historical "Hyborian Age", set after the destruction of Atlantis and before the rise of any known ancient civilization. It is also of huge interest to any CF fan to know that Tom himself made a few attempts at writing Fantasy novels. In the lyrics for 'The usurper', one can find a subtext saying that these were inspired by 'Hear the ballad of the swords' and 'The sign of the usurper'. Concerning these titles, Tom said this about them :"They are fantasy books that I wrote when I was very young. At the time of Hellhammer and early Celtic Frost, I started a cycle of ten novels, unfortunately I believe they no longer exist. They have been lost over the years and were fantasy books on which I based many of my lyrics."

Tom G. Warrior





No comments:

Post a Comment