Saturday, April 18, 2020

Save Italy, Magnify it!

[caption id="attachment_10344" align="alignnone" width="694"]Members of the Arditi corps, 1918, wielding daggers. Members of the Arditi corps, 1918, wielding daggers.[/caption]

A part from Filippo Tommaso Marinetti's speech to 300 Arditi of the 2nd Division of Assault Departments in Riese, in October 1918
-
Dear Arditi d’Italia!
I don't have the honor of being part of the glorious body of the Arditi, but I hope to have the pleasure of fighting soon, as an armored car commander, by your side at the extreme, cutting, dynamic tip of the Italian army beyond the Piave.
I have the right to speak to you since, since the beginning of the war, I was always a voluntary frontline fighter, like you, a cyclist volunteer, a bomber volunteer, a self-made volunteer.
But you who are men of action, a few small talk, many facts, a blasphemy, a glass of wine, a rasp at the enemy, a haversack full of bombs and a brandished dagger, you will tell me that words are usually of little interest to you.
You are right !
I advise you not to listen to the speeches of pedants, academics, who come from the cities to talk to you about courage.
Courage is not taught to an Ardito!
And to you, lieutenants, captains and commanders of assault departments, nothing is taught since you are not only Arditi, but Italians, that is, very intelligent.
I had been invited to speak to the Arditi Soldiers, so I turn to them through you.
Please instill in the hearts of your soldiers the belief that there is no higher honor than that of being an Ardito d'Italia.
I'm not a strategist or tactician.
I speak to you as a passionate inflammator of youth.
I am a futurist, that is, a revolutionary patriot ...
You are the best part of the Italian breed ...
You have become bold for an unbridled love of our divine Italy ...
If I had your soldiers before me, I would glorify our wonderful peninsula here, a summary of all the beauties of the world.
I would say to all Arditi soldiers: be proud to feel Italian, born right in this period of Italian history and therefore destined to solve all the enormous problems of our Italian future with the blood of a stroke.
Unique privilege: save Italy, magnify it!

[caption id="attachment_10347" align="aligncenter" width="450"]Original Abstract Painting by Chirea Petre Abstract Expressionism Art on Canvas Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, The Father of futurism Original Abstract Painting by Chirea Petre - Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, The Father of futurism[/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment