Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The ugly contemporary human pollution

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_dsrcvg756tk4swcgkgwgkk4k0_640.jpg

"You say it’s good to get a change of scenery. What scenery? New buildings? New cars? New freeways? New shopping malls? Go to the woods or a park? I saw a tree once. The new ones look the same, which is fine. I even remember what the old ones look like. My memory isn’t that short. But it’s not worth going to see a squirrel grab a nut, or fish swimming around in a big tank if I must put up with the ugly contemporary human pollution that accompanies each excursion. The squirrel may enliven me and remind me of better vistas but the price in social interaction isn’t worth it. If, on my way to visit the squirrel, I encounter a single person who gains stimulation by seeing me, I feel like I have given more than I’ve received and I get sore.

If every time I go somewhere to see a fish swimming, I become someone else’s stimulation, I feel shortchanged. I’ll buy my own fish and watch it swim. Then, I can watch the fish, the fish can watch me, we can be friends, and nobody else interferes with the interaction, like trying to hear what the fish and I are talking about. I won’t have to get dressed a certain way to visit the fish. I needn’t dress the way my pride dictates, because who’s going to see me? I needn’t wear any pants. The fish doesn’t care. He doesn’t read the tabloids. But, if I go out to see a fish other than my own, I’m right back where I started: entertaining others, which is more depleting than visiting the new fish is entertaining."

Anton Szandor LaVey

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment