Sunday, November 5, 2017

Serrano: My Comrade

1796d40c58e22f63990da0985ad3fffe

“In this turn of the wheel, I have dedicated myself to explaining a Myth and a Legend, embodying them in my life. I have gone through life singing a certain obsessive melody, whose key was given me in the land of my birth. I don’t remember if it was here, or in another place which is even farther away, in a remote, polar region. It seems to me that none of this is new, but that I have repeated it thousands of times.

I was orphaned as a child and was brought up by a widow called Fresia or Freyja, my paternal grandmother. I grew up in the forests of this southern land like a ‘pure madman’. Nothing more. Very soon I rebelled against the Great Widow, entering upon this combat with no other weapons than the memory of the face in the flower in the garden of my childhood. Without God, because I also lost him very early on.

As I narrate this ‘hermetic biography’ which is not accessible to everyone, this legend, and as I sing my melody softly, I thought to describe - with difficulty, enveloped in the mists of passing years and turns of the wheel - my meeting with and loss of a companion of my youth, whom I believe I called Jason, although his name was really Hector. Together we lived solar times, in a midday which was a midnight, dreaming of and searching for the City of Dawn.

Jason died young, He wanted to remain pure and upright so as to continue the search in a new turn of the wheel, in times which would be more propitious for him. He would continue his search through all the turns of the wheel, in those to come and those that came before.

At his graveside, I sang the Song of the Comrade:

‘If you doubt,
I laugh joyfully. 
If you sleep,
I keep watch for you.
If you leave, 
I shall fight for both of us.
Because to each warrior 
The Gods have
Given a comrade.’

And if I return to life, you will also return to life in me. And if you have a dog, I will look after it. And I will enter the city with it. Thus there will be a dog in the sky with us.”

Nos, Book of Resurrection, page 54

No comments:

Post a Comment